What makes a smile beautiful?
That’s a complex question, but some qualities of a lovely smile are immediately identifiable: good tooth color, shape and alignment are a few of the most important ones. If your teeth could use improvement in any of these categories, porcelain veneers could be just what you’re looking for. Tulsa Dentistry>>
You may already know that a veneer is a thin covering over another surface. In dentistry, a veneer is a wafer-thin layer of super-strong porcelain that convincingly substitutes for natural tooth enamel. When bonded to your teeth, veneers can create a natural-looking, beautiful new surface. That’s because dental porcelain, like natural tooth enamel, is translucent and tough. But it doesn’t stain like tooth enamel does.
Recent years have brought remarkable advances in dental porcelain technology. These days, veneers can be made so thin that they can sometimes be bonded directly onto your existing tooth surface. In other cases, a very thin layer of tooth enamel — as thin as the veneer itse
- Dental veneers – veneers are a great option for patients that are looking to enhance their smiles in more ways than one. Custom-made by your dentist, veneers are a popular treatment for severely stained, chipped or misshaped teeth.
- Porcelain Veneers – for repairing larger chips and cracks, and reshaping teeth.
A veneer is a thin covering over another surface.
In dentistry, a veneer is a wafer-thin layer of super-strong porcelain that convincingly substitutes for natural tooth enamel.
When bonded to your teeth, veneers can create a natural-looking, beautiful new surface.
That’s because dental porcelain, like natural tooth enamel, is translucent and tough. But it doesn’t stain as tooth enamel does.
Versatility of Porcelain Veneers
Veneers can be used to improve any of the following characteristics of your teeth:
● Color — Teeth can become stained by the foods and drinks we like, from smoking, and even normal aging. Veneers are available in numerous shades, from the most natural to the brightest Hollywood white.
● Size & Shape — Teeth can become worn down from grinding habits, or may not have the shape or size you want to begin with. For example, some people consider rounder teeth more feminine and squarer teeth more masculine. Veneers can be shaped and sized in whichever way is most flattering to your face.
● Alignment & Spacing — Veneers can be used to close small gaps between teeth or make slight corrections in alignment while improving tooth color and shape.
Limitations of Porcelain Veneers
There are some situations in which veneers would be inappropriate. For example, if you have significantly misaligned teeth or a large gap, orthodontics might be a more appropriate solution than veneers. And if you have lost a lot of tooth structure from decay or trauma (or a particularly severe grinding habit), it might be better to restore your teeth with porcelain crowns that cover the entire tooth.
Caring for Your Veneers
Just like the teeth nature gave you, teeth restored with veneers need gentle brushing and flossing every day. This will remove dental plaque and ensure good gum tissue health around the veneers. Regular checkups at the dental office will remain as important as always to your oral and general health. And keep in mind that as tough as veneers are, they may not be able to withstand forces that come from using your teeth as tools (to open packages, etc.).
Charles Calhoun, DDS
Dr. Calhoun AND his entire staff are by far the BEST dental office that you will ever find! As a young child and adult, I have had problems with my teeth my entire life, so I have had the opportunity to visit numerous dentists. They are the most pleasant, warm, and friendly people that I have had work on my teeth. I recommend them completely! They are fantastic!!